Saturday, April 3, 2010

March 31, 2010

A nice way to spend an anniversary.

It had been way too long since my last trip into the swamp. We launched from Folkston, Ga entrance with Michelle in her Tempest 170 by wilderness systems, and me in my Anas Acuta, by Valley Canoe Products. Lynn had to work. :-( The weather was perfect without a cloud in the sky.

Wildlife (meaning gators of course) was plentiful. The cool nights have all of the alligators sunning themselves on the banks and floating peat islands. As you may notice, they are a bit thin from their winter dormancy.

As always, they were eager to pose for me.

Getting out on the water amid the alligators and bullfrogs always gets my mind right. I have felt better in the last couple of days than I have in a very long time.

If you have never been to the Folkston entrance, ask for a map and have them show you where the "day-use canoe trail" is located. Take that instead of the main canal for some really close encounters with the native wildlife (meaning alligators of course). Take that trail 2 miles until it cuts back into the main canal. From there, turn right and look for a narrow trail on your left about 200 yards from the turn. This leads to Cedar Hammock day-use shelter. A very nice way to spend a few hours of your life. If you are getting tired afterwards, you can just take the main canal back to the launch site.

4 comments:

Buffalo said...

Beautiful! Those gators though ...

Robbie said...

Those gators are the reason I go Buffalo! I have found them to be a lot like me... laid back and peaceful til you poke them or mess with their family.

Shannon said...

I lived in Florida for 15 years and never saw a single gator in the wild. Of course, I never went looking for them either. Awesome photos, grand adventures!

Robbie said...

Hey Shannon,
Been away from my blog for a while.
If you and your's ever come down this way again and want to get a close-up personal visit with the gators, just let me know.